Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Drugs..Homosexuality..and Kurt Cobain??

For starters I am not the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I know their music and a few of their songs are favorites of mine. The only band member I had even heard of was of course Kurt Cobain. Before reading the required story on the group I knew that Kurt was a strong drug addict and died of an overdose. I only knew of one song from the group called Teen Spirit. The members of the band all had a rough childhood in their own ways but all had things in common. One of these was that they all went through their parents’ divorce and didn’t seem to connect with others around them. Apparently Kurt had a hard time dealing with this experience. I myself have never dealt with my parents having a divorce, but I have half brothers and sisters that have, but they never used drugs that I know of to recover from it. Kurt also allegedly had a male friend that his mother thought was a homosexual “friend” that Kurt had that she eventually made him stop hanging out with due to her Homophobe attitude. The story is a good one that shows the struggle of a band that everyone mostly knew their problems, but didn’t know the details of the struggle. I am not sure if I feel sorry for Kurt or not. I do believe that someone shouldn’t just say he was stupid or ignorant, but should have put him in some kind of rehab if they knew about the drug issues. I believe the band was making progress and could have made it really big, but the lifestyle got to them much like other artists today.

No comments:

Post a Comment